logo logo

FAQ - Health and Labor Insurance, Social Welfare

  • Q1: What kind of labor insurance benefits can foreign workers apply for?

    Foreign workers participate in labor insurance as required by the law, and upon the occurrence of a contingency covered by the insurance during the coverage period, may claim insurance benefit payments pursuant to the provisions of the law. Ordinary risk insurance provides five kinds of benefits payable in cash: maternity benefits, injury or sickness benefits, permanent disability benefits, old-age benefits, and survivor benefits. For occupational accident, there are injury or sickness benefits, permanent disability benefits, survivor benefits (including missing allowance) and medical care benefits.

  • Q2: Are foreign nationals eligible for the National Insurance Program?

    1. Enrollment qualifications:

    (1) The National Health Insurance Act stipulates that foreign nationals who with Valid Alien Resident Certificate or Resident certificate for the Taiwan area( including those from Hong Kong, Macau and China) must be registered in the National Health Insurance program upon living in Taiwan for 6 months (6 months of continuous residence in Taiwan or with one trip abroad not exceeding 30 days when the actual residency period of 6 months is reached after the days abroad have been deducted).

    (2) But those people who get work permits with ARC must join the National Health Insurance program by their employer starting the day they are employed.


    2. What to Do If Going Abroad for More than Six Months?

    If the insured plan to go abroad for more than six months, you can either maintain your National Health insurance or suspend your coverage.

    1. (1) Continuing Coverage: No application needs to be submitted. As long as the insured continue paying their premiums while they are out of the country, they will be covered for emergency procedures or child delivery abroad but must apply for reimbursement for expenses they paid on their own.
    2. (2) Suspending Coverage:
      a. Those who decide to suspend their insurance coverage must submit an "Insurance Suspension Application Form" before going abroad. While outside the country, these individuals do not have to pay premiums but will also not be covered for medical care. You may file an online application to suspend NHI coverage by using your "citizen digital certificate" or NHI card through the NHIA's "Personal NHI Online Services" network.

      b. Suspending your coverage means you do not have to pay premiums while abroad, but upon returning to Taiwan, you must remember to restore your coverage from the day of your return. Restoring coverage will fulfill your obligation to enroll in the National Health Insurance program. If you have suspended coverage but left the country for fewer than six months, you must void the suspension and pay back premiums retroactively for the period from when coverage was halted to the time you return to the country.

      c. Those who suspend coverage during their time abroad can only suspend their insurance starting from the day of the application rather than making it retroactive to the day they left the country. This group of people also cannot apply retroactively to suspend their coverage after returning home or request a reimbursement of premiums paid while they lived abroad. We suggest, therefore, that you complete any appropriate insurance procedures before going overseas.Once you suspend coverage, you cannot restore coverage or request reimbursement of medical expenses while abroad. Only after returning to Taiwan and restoring coverage can you regain your right to health care.

      d. Those who have already suspended coverage for their time abroad and those who choose to suspend their coverage while abroad starting January 1, 2013 can only suspend their coverage again after they have returned to Taiwan and reinstated their coverage for three months.

    For more information, please visit: National Health Insurance Administration - Enrollment.

  • Q3: Should foreigners join labor insurance if they work in Taiwan?

    Any foreign workers hired under application by a general enterprise in accordance with Article 6 of the Labor Insurance Act are obligated to join labor insurance. Foreign workers employed by any industry under Article 8 of the same Act and domestic helpers and caregivers employed by natural persons may join labor insurance on voluntary basis. If you have any questions, please contact the Bureau of Labor Insurance, Ministry of Labor, Executive Yuan. Telephone: +886-2-2396-1266.

  • Q4: How are labor insurance premiums calculated in the case of foreign workers?

    There are two types of premium rates: ordinary and occupational accident. According to Articles 13 and 15 of the Labor Insurance Act, for a foreign worker who has a regular employer, 70% of the ordinary risk insurance premium is shared by the employer, 20% by the insured person and 10% by the government. For occupational accident, the full premium is paid by the employer. When a foreign worker does not have a regular employer or is self-employed and affiliated with an occupational union, he/she will bear 60% of the premium for both ordinary risk and the occupational accident insurance, and the remaining 40% will be paid by the government. Starting from January 1, 2017, the ordinary insurance premium for labor insurance shall be calculated at 9.5%, and occupational accident premium rates vary according to occupations.

  • Q5: How does an insured unit report the insured salary of foreign workers?

    The monthly insurance salary of Labor Insurance should be filed based on the total amount of the insured person's monthly salary according to the "Table of Grades of Insurance Salary" download File name "Table of Grades of Insurance Salary".

  • Q6: What kind of impact will be on the workers in case an insured unit delays payment of labor insurance premiums and the Arrears Wage Payment Fund? How can the workers claim for these payments or protect their rights and interests?

    I. The labor insurance premiums shall be paid monthly. The insured unit shall pay the premium each month within the deadline stipulated in Article 16 of the Labor Insurance Act. In case the insured unit fails to pay the premiums due before the deadline, the premiums may be paid within a 15-day grace period. In case the premiums remain unpaid to the insurer within the grace period, the Bureau of Labor Insurance may, in accordance with Article 17 of the same Act, impose an additional overdue penalty at the rate of 0.1 percent for each day beginning from the expiration day of the grace period to one day before the premiums are paid in full, provided that the overdue penalty shall not be more than 20% the amount of the premiums. In case the premiums have not been paid 15 days after the penalty is due, the Bureau of Labor Insurance shall, in accordance with the Labor Insurance Act and the Administrative Execution Law, refer the case to the Administrative Enforcement Office under the Administrative Enforcement Agency, Ministry of Justice, for compulsory execution with regard to the properties of the insured unit that fails to pay the premiums. The Bureau of Labor Insurance shall also suspend all applications for the benefits filed by such an insured units.


    II. In the event that the insured unit is overdue in the payment of premiums or late fees for overdue premiums, and after the Bureau of Labor Insurance suspends insurance payments temporarily, the insured unit shall pay insurance premiums continuously during this temporary suspension period. With regard to the payable insurance payments of the insured persons, the application formalities shall be completed and examined by the Bureau of Labor Insurance. After the payment of these owed fees is made, the insurance payments will be paid. However, the insured persons may provide the relevant documents to apply for the insurance payments in case the premiums that shall be borne by the insured persons have already been deducted by or paid to the insured unit.


    III. Where the insured unit deducts its employees' premiums and fails to turn it over to the Bureau of Labor Insurance, as the responsible person peculates the money, Article 336 of the Criminal Law (business misappropriation) might be constituted. The employees may file a legal complaint or institute incidental civil procedures against the insured unit and its responsible person for joint damages compensation in accordance with Article 184 of the Civil Code and Article 487 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.


    Ⅳ.The wage arrears payment program stipulates that employers should pay a certain amount into the fund monthly to be used for subsequent payment of wage arrears(for up to six months), retirement pension and severance pay required by the provisions of Labor Standards Act, and the severance pay required by the provisions of Labor Pension Act ( the total amount of  pension and severance shall be no more than six months of average wage). In case of non-payments upon the workers(including foreign workers who are applicable to Labor Standards Act) request for arrears of wages, pensions, or severance pay, the Fund can temporarily cover the payments, but the employer shall repay the amount to the Fund within a specified timeframe. If an employer has unpaid the arrears wage payment fund, workers shall not apply for such payment. Workers of employers who have paid up owed contributions may also apply for such payment.

  • Q7: Where and how do the victims of foreign spouses suffering sexual infringement look for assistance?

    I Authorized Authority:
     MOI (Commission for Family Violence and Sexual Infringement Prevention), Family Violence and Sexual Infringement Prevention Center of Municipal or County (City) Government (hereinafter called the " Prevention Center ). 
    II Basis of Law:
     Sexual Infringement Offense Prevention Law 
    III What is sexual infringement?
     Sexual infringement is not sex but a cruel infringement that is an unallowed sexual behavior. The sexual infringement means the offenses enumerated in Article 221 ~ 229 and 232 of Criminal Code. In a word, the sexual intercourse of a man or woman by means of rape, threat, intimidation, hyponotism or any other way violating the will are called sexual infringement 
    IV What can you do when suffering sexual infringement? 
      A. Seek resource channels: Dial "113 - Women and children protection line" to ask for assistance from the "prevention center" of municipal and county (city) governments; dial "110 Emergency call" to report the case to police department of municipal and county (city) governments, ask health organizations for assistance, or apply to court for the warrant of protection or file a law suit with the court. 
      B. Actions to take when suffering sexual infringement : 
        1 The most important thing is to keep evidences; go to hospital for an inspection to get the evidence, don't wash your body and change clothes either. 
        2 If you have reported to police for assistance, there will be policewomen going with you to hospital for a detailed inspection, injury examination and relevant evidence collection. 
        3 Don't be afraid, because isolation measures are taken for investigation of the case to protect your privacy. 
        4 During investigation and trial, there will be legal representative, spouse, linear or three-move colateral relatives, head of household, family members or social workers of the prevention center at your side to help you make statement. 
        5 When needing to exchange questions face-to-face with the suspect or idendify the suspect, trust us! We will take proper protecting measures to assure your privacy and safety. 
        6 During investigation, your identity will not be disclosed unless you consent or it is necessary for investigation. 
        7 All documents prepared during investigation will not indicate your name, age, address, etc. 
        8 If you need legal consultation, emergent treatment, psychotherapy, counseling and settlement, you may contact the prevention center of municipal or county (city) government for assistance. 
      C. Flow of handling sexual infringement in hospitals (see the chart in p. 24). 
    V If you are worried about language, call "0800-088-885 foreign spouse protection line", which provides English- Vietnamese-, Indonesia-, Combodian- and Thai-language personnel to offer foreign spouses the information about family violence and sexual infringement prevention and children/teenagers protection services. The service hours of this line in different languages are as follows:

    English: 8:00~10: 00 a .m.

    Combodian: 2:00~4:00 p.m.

    Vietnamese: 10:00~12: 00 a .m.

    Thai: 4:00~6:00 p.m.

    Indonesian: 12:00 noon ~2:00 p.m.